Philip Williams graduated from Oklahoma State University with a Master's in Architecture in 1957. His thesis was entitled, "An Urban Redevelopment for Oklahoma City."The same year, he joined the Oklahoma branch office of CRS and became associate partner of the firm in 1966. As a senior vice-president of the firm Williams oversaw many of the campus and city planning projects. Williams left the firm in 1972.